Susan G. Komen History
Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $800 million in research and provided more than $1.6 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life.
Our vision: A world without breast cancer.
The mission of Susan G. Komen® is to eradicate breast cancer as a life threatening disease by advancing research, education, screening and treatment.
Our guiding principles were born from a simple promise made between two sisters…
- We believe in the power of the individual – recognizing the extreme value of one and the dynamic force of many.
- We honor voluntarism and foster the spirit to serve by the lives that we touch.
- We nurture an environment where people are valued and treated with dignity, respect, and fairness.
- We are committed to being a positive agent of change – demonstrating compassion and integrity in all that we do.
- We believe that the distinguished financial performance is a must, not an an end in itself, but as a means to accomplish our broadened mission.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure®’s promise is “to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all, and energizing science to find the cures.”
Susan G. Komen® Northwest NC is dedicated to combating breast cancer at every front. Up to 75 percent of the Komen Northwest NC’s net income goes toward funding grants to local hospitals and community organizations that provide breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs for medically underserved women. The remaining net income (a minimum of 25 percent) supports the national Komen Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world.
Susan G. Komen® Northwest NC service area covers 22 counties (Alamance, Alexander, Allegheny, Ashe, Avery, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Guilford, Madison, Mitchell, Randolph, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, Watauga, Wilkes, Yadkin, and Yancey). Thanks to the thousands of people who participate in the Susan G. Komen® Northwest NC Race for the Cure and other Affiliate events each year, dedicated 365 Partners and generous donors, Susan. G Komen® Northwest NC is playing a vital role in fighting breast cancer in our community.