Susan G. KomenⓇ Northwest NC is proud to sponsor the Edith Hood Volunteer Service Award. An unwavering supporter in the fight against breast cancer, Edith Hood donated $50,000 to fund the startup costs of the Susan G. Komen Northwest NC Affiliate, founded in 2000.
In tribute to her efforts and the example that she set, this award recognizes and honors a deserving individual who accurately exemplifies “the Power of Promise” through service, commitment and leadership.
The winner will be announced at the Komen Northwest NC Annual Meeting in May, 2017.
To download the Edith Hood application form, please click here.
Edith Sidney Lawrence (Babe) Hood, Winston-Salem, N.C., died Feb. 18, 2001 at the Kate B. Reynolds Hospice Home. She was born Feb. 24, 1906, in Milledgeville, GA. Hood was a teacher for more than 25 years in St. Augustine, having taught third grade. She was a graduate of Georgia State College in 1925. After her son died in 1997, she established the Harry Lee Hood Research Fund at Wake Forest University’s School of Medicine for the department of orthopedic surgery. Mrs. Hood was a member of Abbotts Creek Missionary Baptist Church.
In addition to her son, Harry Jr., she was preceded in death by her husband, Harry Lee Hood. He died in 1967.
- Must be a Komen NWNC volunteer for a minimum of one (1) year and have made significant contributions to the growth and development of the Komen Northwest NC Affiliate.
- Nominee must have outstanding service within the Komen Northwest NC Affiliate service area.
- Promotes breast health awareness and education to others.
- Motivates and inspires other through a positive attitude.
- Please submit two letters of recommendation, nomination form and a 5×7 photo of the nominee.
- Contest begins at 12:01am eastern standard time (EST) on December 1, 2016 and ends at 11:59pm EST on February 1, 2017.
- Nominations may be completed in one of the following ways; all portions of the nomination must be complete for entry:
- Visiting the Komen Northwest NC office at 1106 Burke St., Winston-Salem, NC and completing an official nomination form and remitting your completed nomination form, letters of recommendation (2) and a 5×7 photo to the office.
- Download the application form and mail completed nomination for, letters of recommendation (2) and a 5×7 photo to 1106 Burke St., Winston-Salem, NC 27101. To download the application form, please click here.
- Limit one entry per person. All entries become the property of the Komen NWNC Affiliate and will not be returned.
- Komen NWNC is not responsible for any lost, late, delayed, illegible, incomplete, mutilated, postage due or misdirected entries or mail.
- Your entry will be disqualified if you (i) provide information that is incomplete, inaccurate or fraudulent; or (ii) fail to comply with or circumvent the terms and conditions of these Official Rules.
- Komen NWNC reserves the right, in its sole discretion; to cancel, modify, or suspend any portion of this content should any causes beyond the control of Komen NWNC corrupt the administration, security or proper contest participation or entry submission.
- Award selections are based on the nominee’s volunteer efforts and commitment of time, accomplishments, community impact, and enhancement of the lives of others, as described on the nomination form.
- The winner will be chosen by the Komen Northwest NC staff and selection committee whose decisions are final.
- The winner will be chosen within the promotional contest window from among all qualified entries received.
- The potential winner will be contacted by phone and must agree to accept the prize as set forth below, and may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility/compliance with the rules and a publicity/liability release which must be returned, properly executed, within 3 days of notification attempt; or entrant will be disqualified and an alternate entrant will be selected.
- Winner grants Komen Northwest NC permission to use name, photograph or likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law.
- One nominee will receive the title of the Komen Northwest NC Edith Hood Volunteer Service Award Winner.
- The 2016 Edith Hood Award winner will be announced at the Komen NWNC Annual Celebration in May 2017.
- The prize for the Edith Hood Award winner will included two 25,000-mile American Airline certificates.
For more information please contact Ebony Pratt via email at email@example.com or by phone at 336-721-0037.